- Be proactive - Know the product, and the environment in which it lives.
- First things first - Build a website / ticket system, set of processes, service tools, support readiness materials.
- Begin with the end in mind - Focus on Customer satisfaction with an effective feedback and survey mechanism.
- Seek first to understand and then be understood - Diagnose before attempting to repair.
- Think Win Win - Having worked hard to solve problems, recycle solutions with well written tech notes.
- Synergize - Embrace customer feedback, work with engineering/ sales / marketing to improve the product. Find your most demanding customer and learn what they know.
- Sharpen the saw - Learn more, teach more, research more, experiment in the field.
If you haven't read the Covey book I would highly recommend it as a transformational text for personal development. To be just a bit controversial here the 7 Habits book is a more practical manual of living and interacting with people than any of the major religious texts.